admin@fireandsafetycommuity.com     011-45610104

Five workers die in fire at locked sari godown in Pune

Published on: 10-May-2019, 04:28 PM     

Updated on May 10, 2019:

Around 4.30 am, people passing from the area saw that the godown caught fire. Five fire tenders were rushed to the spot along with ten water tankers and equipment. Firemen managed to extinguish the flames within an hour.

Five workers of a sari godown died of suffocation and burn injuries after a fire broke out in the building and they were unable to escape as the owners of the godown had locked the shutter from outside.

The incident took place in the early hours of Thursday at the Rajyog Wholesale Saree Depot and Godown in Uruli Devachi. The godown had no emergency exit and its owners had locked the shutter at the entrance to prevent thefts, said police. The workers had been living in the godown premises, said police.

The deceased have been identified as Rakesh Sukhdevji Riyad (22), Dharmaraj Sukharam Badiyasar (25), Rakesh Bugaram Meghwal (20), Suraj Paruji Sharma (25) and Dhiraj Omprakash Chandak (25).

An offence of negligence has been lodged against the owner of the godown, Bhavarlal Hajarimal Prajapati of Gujarat, as well as his partners Sunil Nandkishor Bajaj and Suresh Ramaram Jakhad, who are residents of Uruli Devachi, said Inspector Suraj Bandgar of Loni Kalbhor police station. “All three have been booked under sections 304 (2) and 34 of the Indian Penal Code. We have arrested Jakhad and Bajaj… we found that preventive steps were not taken by the accused… while locking the shutter from outside, they had not kept an emergency exit open, and fire safety equipment was not in place,” said Bandgar.

Initial investigation has revealed that all five workers were sleeping inside the premises of the two-storeyed godown, which is built on an area of about 7,000 sq feet, when the fire broke out. According to police, one of the godown workers, Rakesh Riyad, noticed the fire at 4.15 am. He immediately called up Jakhad and told him that the workers were unable to leave because the shutter of the godown was locked from outside, said police.

By the time Jakhad reached the godown, the fire had spread over a large area. The Fire Brigade team received a call about the incident at 4.30 am and rushed to the spot. While earthmoving machinery was used to pull up the shutter, five fire tenders, 10 water tankers and other equipment were deployed to bring the blaze under control.

The firefighters also broke open the glass on the second floor, but were unable to rescue the trapped workers in time.

“We brought the situation under control in a couple of hours. We found the five workers in a serious condition inside the godown. They were taken to Sassoon hospital,” said Fire Station duty officer D N Nagalkar.

The workers were pronounced dead on arrival at the Sassoon hospital.

Investigation has revealed that the trapped workers tried to escape by pulling apart the window grills on the second floor, but could not do so.

Uruli Devachi is known for its wholesale sari market and several sari shops and godowns have come up in the area located on the Pune-Saswad Road.

“This area has recently come under our jurisdiction. We found that people have set up their business here… but the fire safety measures are not in place. They should install basic fire safety equipment…”, said Chief Fire Officer Prashant Ranpise.

 

Source: https://indianexpress.com/article/india/pune-five-workers-dead-in-a-fire-at-cloth-depot-5718260/

 

Recent Posts


Delhi Police register FIR against unknown people


After a major fire broke out at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) here on Saturday, forcing evacuation and disrupting hospital services, Delhi Police registered an FIR in the incident on Sunday.

The FIR was registered u...


Published on: 19-Aug-2019

Massive Fire Broke out in the History of AIIMS


New Delhi: A major fire broke out at the teaching block of the AIIMS here on Saturday, destroying samples and medical reports and forcing evacuation of some patients, though no one was injured, officials said.

A resident doctor, who has ...


Published on: 19-Aug-2019

Massive fire breaks out in Delhi Gandhinagar marke...


Six shops were damaged after a fire broke out in the Gandhinagar garments market in East Delhi on Tuesday morning, said the fire department.

As many as 22 fire tenders were sent to the spot to douse the flames. It is suspected that fire ...


Published on: 14-Aug-2019

Govt orders probe into fire in MTNL, BSNL


Govt orders probe into fire in MTNL, BSNL buildings in Mumbai, Delhi and Kolkata

The government on Tuesday ordered a high-level inquiry into the fire incidents in MTNL and BSNL buildings in Mumbai, Delhi and Kolkata, and asked the two fi...


Published on: 03-Aug-2019

Kolkata: Fire breaks out inside BSNL building in S...


A massive fire broke out at the Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) building in Salt Lake in Kolkata, West Bengal. The case of the fire has not been ascertained. No casualty has been reported yet.

Huge smoke is seen billowing out of the ...


Published on: 03-Aug-2019